What is a V Burial llowance
V burial allowance is a partial reimbursement of an eligible veteran's burial and funeral costs. When the cause of death is not service-related, the reimbursement is generally described as two payments: (1) a burial and funeral expense allowance, and (2) a plot interment allowance.
Who Is Eligible
You may be eligible for a V burial allowance if:
- you paid for a veteran's burial or funeral ND
- you have not been reimbursed by another government agency or some other source, such as the deceased veteran's employer ND
- the veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
In addition, at least one of the following conditions must be met:
- the veteran died because of a service-related disability OR
- the veteran was getting V pension or compensation at the time of death OR
- the veteran was entitled to receive V pension or compensation but decided not to reduce his/her military retirement or disability pay OR
- the veteran died in a V hospital or while in a nursing home under V contract
How Much Does V Pay
Service-related death -- V will pay up to $2,000 toward burial expenses for deaths prior to September 11, 2001. V will pay up to $1,500 for deaths prior to September 11, 2001. If the veteran is buried in a V national cemetery, some or all of the cost of moving the deceased may be reimbursed.
Nonservice-related death -- For deaths on or after October 1, 2011, V will pay up to $700 toward burial and funeral expenses (if hospitalized by V at the time of death), or $300 toward burial and funeral expenses (if not hospitalized by V at the time of death), and a $700 plot-interment allowance (if not buried in a national cemetery). For deaths on or after December 1, 2001, but before October 1, 2011, V will pay up to $300 toward bural and funeral expenses and a $300 plot-interment allowance. The plot-internment alloance is $150 for deaths prior to December 1, 2001. If the death happened while the Vetean was in a V hospital or under V contracted nursing hom care, some or all of the costs for transporting the Veteran's remains may be reimbused. n annual increase in burial and plot allowances, for deaths occurring after October 1, 2011, begins in fiscal year 2013 based on the Consumer Price Index for the preceding 12-month period.
How Can I pply
Contact your local County Veterans Service Office.
Burial in V National Cemeteries Headstones and Markers
Presidential Memorial Certificates Burial Flags
To apply for or obtain more information about benefits, contact your local CVSO.